Monday, May 02, 2005

The Good Side of Sinus Pressure

I slept about three hours last night. For some reason, this year's tree pollen has affected me more than in previous years. My eyes feel as if someone is trying to push them out of my head from the inside. Sudafed has worked very well, but I thought I did not need it last night when I went to bed. Boy, was I wrong.

So, when I awoke at 3:00 a.m., I decided to pray for people. This is not normal for me--praying in the middle of the night that is. I prayed specifically for people who shared needs with me throughout the day yesterday. I prayed for some of our missionaries we have heard from lately.
Even though Lesli was right there next to me, in the quiet of the night, I felt as if it was just me and God (I guess we were the only ones conscious in the house at the time). The stillness and the quiet of the house and our neighborhood provided such a peaceful atmosphere in which to talk with God. I even found myself thanking Him for the sinus pressure that allowed me to converse with Him in the stillness of the night.

Life moves at such a fast pace for all of us. The world is filled with noise. We should follow the psalmist's challenge to be still and know that God is God. After praying, I simply lay there in bed and thought about God being God. Then, I took the time to repeat verses I had memorized regarding who God is, what His attributes are, and just how much He loves me. It seemed after two hours of communing with, praying to, and thinking about God that my heart was refreshed and realigned to His heart.

While I don't like that pressure behind my eyes, I am glad that God used it last night to tune my heart to His!