Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Do They Know Me?

Someone spoke to me today about my background and my religious heritage. Interestingly, they had made some assumptions about me that were not true. They thought I was associated with a branch of Christianity with which I have little or no connection. They based that on these false assumptions. But, I had given them little other knowledge of me to remove those assumptions.

They began to speak to me about what I believe and how I live out my Christianity. Again, they were way off in their understanding of me and my faith. This happens to me a great deal with people who do not have much contact with me or know much about me. But, this person, while not a part of our church family, has had a great deal of contact with me over the years and I thought should know me pretty well.

Through this interaction, I was struck with the reality that it is my responsibility to share my faith and my relationship with Christ. I am the one who has not represented myself and ultimately Christ well before this person. I could easily blame them for their ignorance of me, but I was convicted that by now this person should know what I believe about faith and how to have a right relationship with Jesus Christ. They didn't and that is my fault.

This person really didn't know me for who I am and what I believe and for the sake of my witness for Christ, they should have. From now on as I interact with other people, I am going to ask myself the question: Do they know who I am? After a little bit of interaction with me, friends, neighbors and associates should know that I am a born again follower of Jesus Christ and that I live for Him. They need to hear about and see Jesus in me. I may be the only "Jesus" they will ever see. If they know me, that will give me the opportunity to help them know Jesus Himself.